Assistant Head of School for Institutional Advancement
October 2023 | Waltham, MA
Gann Academy seeks an Assistant Head of School for Institutional Advancement to lead admissions, marketing, and fundraising for an ambitious next chapter of increased fundraising and enrollment at the school.
About Gann Academy
Gann Academy is the leading independent Jewish high school in Greater Boston, recognized for a bold, innovative curriculum that combines in-depth critical analysis, experiential learning, and a focus on building a better world. With an unparalleled commitment to faculty development, small class size, and a unique advisory system, Gann prepares students to live lives rich with accomplishment and meaning and to contribute to their communities and the world. Gann Academy serves more than 350 students from over 35 communities across the full spectrum of Jewish observance.
The mission of Gann Academy is to educate, to inspire, and to empower intellectually confident, passionately engaged, ethically responsible Jews who, through critical thinking and the contribution of their unique voices, will create a vibrant Jewish future and build a better world where human dignity will flourish.
Gann Academy’s Approach
Jewish tradition holds that learning is a sacred act. When we study, we seek to understand our community’s timeless values as well as our place in this world, who we are, where we come from, and how we want to live. When we study with a whole heart, we aspire to higher and higher levels of consciousness and spirituality. At Gann, we seek to create a learning environment in which students’ creativity of thought and innovative ideas advance our communal pursuit of knowledge and truth.
For more information about Gann Academy, please visit www.gannacademy.org
About the Position
The Assistant Head of School for Institutional Advancement will report to the Head of School and oversee the admissions, marketing, and development functions of Gann Academy. In doing so, this leader, in conjunction with the Head of School, will set the larger strategy for how the school communicates and tells its story to the outside world. The ideal candidate is a thoughtful and sophisticated communicator, is excellent at developing and cultivating relationships, has a track record of securing philanthropic support for an organization, brings deep technological skills and a solid background in marketing, and is an experienced people and project manager.
- Since its founding, almost $90 million has been contributed to Gann from alumni, parents, faculty, staff, and the community.
- In 2022, Gann launched an endowment campaign to grow its endowment from $8 million to $25 million by the school’s 25th birthday. This goal was met in time for a 25th celebration in the spring of 2023.
- Gann’s enrollment for the 2023-2024 school year is 351 which is the largest it has been in the school’s history. There is currently a wait list for every grade.
- Together with the Head of School, create an overarching strategy for external relations as it relates to development, admissions, and marketing.
- In partnership with the Head of School and senior leadership, develop short-term and long-term goals for the admissions, marketing, and development teams to raise brand awareness of Gann, help to ensure a robust pipeline of prospective students and families, and significantly increase philanthropic support and constituent engagement.
- Build, mentor, and lead an aligned team structure to execute on priorities across all three departments, by providing direct supervision and management of day-to-day functions for the three teams.
- Manage and mentor 4 direct reports and a team of 7 in technical areas such as data analysis, writing, oral communication, and provide professional development opportunities to enhance and improve skills.
- Provide the final review and approval for all outgoing email and written communications from Gann (including current parent communications).
- Together with the Head of School, be the primary spokesperson for Gann in key internal and external events such as admissions events, parlor meetings, development functions, and other constituent engagement activities.
The following are required skills that are necessary to be successful in this position:
- Experience: Ten+ years of increasing responsibility in advancement and/or marketing and communications, and proven people and project manager.
- Jewish Culture and Tradition: A deep appreciation for the history and lived practices within Jewish tradition, culture, identities, and community.
- Oral Communication and Story Telling:
- Outstanding oral and written communication and ability to tell Gann’s story in a compelling, nuanced, manner to reach a broad range of audiences and stakeholders.
- Ability to understand and discuss educational approaches with detail and sophistication. While a formal background in independent schools or education is not required, the successful candidate is a quick study and eager to learn how to speak about education in a sophisticated, intellectual manner.
- Proficiency with data: Strong analytical thinker, with a demonstrated strategic understanding of the admissions funnel, development analyses, target marketing, prospect development, and quantitative analysis (must be comfortable working in Excel and PowerPoint).
- Technological savvy: High-level of comfort using all applications in MS Office Suite and a willingness to learn platforms and systems including Gann’s Enrollment Management system, Raiser’s Edge Development Software, and Constant Contact.
- Writing and Editing Ability: Superb professional writing and editing skills and strong ability to strategically promote Gann’s unique academic brand with sufficient gravitas and joy through compelling storytelling.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrated track record of the highest level of interpersonal skills and collaboration.
- Work effectively and collaboratively with direct reports, and interdepartmental staff across the school to advance the mission, vision, and strategic priorities of Gann Academy.
- The successful candidate is skilled at cultivating and sustaining strong relationships, has a passion for meeting new and interesting people and building a network of meaningful connections.
- Feedback: The successful candidate will be eager for constructive feedback and able to pivot in order to incorporate feedback into practice.
- Humility and Self-Awareness: The successful candidate is humble and self-aware of their strengths and weaknesses. They understand that they will serve as a representative of Gann Academy and will put the school’s reputation and needs before their own personal gain. They will accept accountability for setbacks, never blame others, and generously give credit to their colleagues.
- Work Ethic: Willingness to work hard and to be flexible with ambiguity when projects and priorities knowing they may shift over time (agility, resilience, and calm under pressure).
- Attention to Detail/Responsiveness: The successful candidate will have an excellent attention to detail and the ability to “close the loop” on questions, projects, action items, and follow-up when needed.
- Expansive Thinking and Learning: Demonstrated track record of being open to creative approaches to the work, learning from others, staying current with common industry practices, and implementing new ideas from colleagues and supervisors.
Compensation: The salary for this position is $150,000+ commensurate with experience.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
Gann Academy is an equal opportunity employer. It is the policy of the school to prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type and to afford equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants, without regard to race, creed, color, religion, national origin, sex (including sexual orientation, gender identity or expression), and pregnancy, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information, or veteran status.
If you are interested in being considered for this search, please use the form below to submit your cover letter and resume in confidence.
Executive Director Executive Search, Senior Vice President, Principal
Development Guild DDI