Chief Development Officer
February 2020 | Boston, MA
About FamilyAid Boston
FamilyAid Boston (FAB) is the leading provider of solutions to family homelessness in Greater Boston. Its mission is to empower parents and caregivers facing homelessness to secure and sustain housing and build strong foundations for their children’s futures.
Under new executive leadership, the hundred-plus year-old agency is setting a new, bold strategic direction to increase prevention programs, housing, and supportive services for children, putting the organization on a growth trajectory with philanthropy as a strong institutional driver.
About Philanthropy at FamilyAid
Key among FAB’s priorities is elevating philanthropy as both a critical and integral facet of the organization’s future operations and success. With a strong existing donor base, national recognition and new funding from the Day 1 Families Fund for additional services, and a growing list of promising new prospects to engage and cultivate, the Board of Directors is fully engaged in this new direction and has made a significant investment to grow fundraising resources.
FAB is currently supported primarily by a core group of dedicated individual donors and numerous foundations, including several recent six-figure foundation gifts. With a focus on investing in fundraising, FAB is in the process of bringing on new board members to broaden the reach of the agency. There are significant, immediate opportunities for increased major gift fundraising, and the Chief Development Officer will spearhead this growth.
About the Position
The Chief Development Officer will be a high caliber, high-energy fundraising professional with the skills, experience, leadership, and commitment to FAB’s mission needed to help take the current fundraising program to the next level and beyond. The CDO will join a strong executive leadership team comprised of the President, the Chief Operating Officer, and the Chief Financial Officer.
A well-rounded development professional, the CDO will partner with the President and the Board to expand FAB’s philanthropy program, with responsibility for leading the systematic growth of a comprehensive development department, building on their current momentum. The right candidate will have proven success in implementing, growing, and managing a high-performing development program, strong leadership and management experience, proven ability to manage their own donor portfolio and close 6-figure gifts, and a proven ability to partner with organizational leadership.
- Work with the President, Board members, and staff/volunteers to identify, cultivate, and steward new and existing individual, foundation, government, and corporate donors
- Manage a portfolio of top individual and corporate donors and prospects
- Build on current stewardship activities to deepen relationships with current donors
- Develop and implement new engagement strategies
- Implement and oversee a formal moves management program
- Report regular progress against strategic and operational goals, including donor engagement and stewardship touchpoints, revenue targets, and pipeline management details
- Engage leadership in key donor cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship activities
- Partner with the President, Board, and staff to develop and implement FAB’s comprehensive development strategy and plans to secure donors, enhance fundraising opportunities, and significantly grow philanthropy
- Help guide the agency’s overall strategic planning and implementation, especially in alignment with its philanthropic priorities and initiatives
- Oversee the development and execution of a best practice development infrastructure, including programs, policies, and procedures to ensure effectiveness and accountability across the system
- Serve as a liaison to the President, the Board, and the Fundraising Committee for all fundraising activity
- Serve as a manager, mentor, and leader for the overall development program and staff
- Supervise the development team, including recruiting, training, evaluating, and mentoring
- Develop short-term and long-term fundraising targets; track and manage ROI of the respective fundraising initiatives and budget
- Bachelor’s degree; MBA or graduate degree in a related field a plus
- Passion and appreciation for FAB’s mission and the ability to effectively communicate it
- 10+ years of progressive development experience with consistent success in closing six-figure plus gifts from individual, corporate, and foundation donors
- Strong working knowledge of the principles and best practices of fundraising and experience in developing comprehensive prospect strategies
- Strong management experience with proven ability to train, motivate, and lead diverse fundraising staff and volunteers
- Experience working and partnering with senior leadership, President/CEO, and Board members
- Strong administrative and organization skills
- Superb written and communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to work collaboratively and successfully as a member of a diverse community with CEO, Board leadership, colleagues, prospects/donors, and volunteers to achieve common goals
- Poise, maturity, flexibility, and ability to work as a collaborative team player are essential
- Ability to work in office and field-based settings with a diverse, homeless population
- Willingness to work some evenings and weekends as events and meetings require
- Flexibility and compassion essential
Family Aid Boston is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, national origin, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, or age.
Please email your cover letter and resume in confidence to:
Senior Vice President, Principal
Development Guild DDI
For more information about FamilyAid Boston, please visit http://www.familyaidboston.org/.