Vice President of Development
February 2020 | New York, NY
Council for Economic Education seeks a Vice President of Development to drive the strategy and growth of its comprehensive development program.
About the Council for Economic Education
The Council for Economic Education’s (CEE’s) mission is to equip K-12 students with the tools and knowledge of economics and personal finance so that they can make better decisions for themselves, their families and their communities. CEE carries out its mission by providing resources and training to K-12 educators and has done so for over 70 years. Nearly 2/3 of the teachers CEE reaches in person are in low- and moderate-income schools. CEE reaches 50,000 teachers nationwide through in-person professional development workshops through its national network of affiliates; EconEdLink, offering educators free online resources and training, garners over 700,000 visitors per year.
CEE has 3 major areas of focus:
- Digital Transformation: CEE’s $3M+ recent investment in EconEdLink is paying off in increased visits and time on site. The goal is for it to be the go-to place for educators in the field by providing the best content and tools – CEE’s and others’.
- Meeting audience needs: CEE is investing in professional development. This year CEE reached over 4,000 educators nationally through its growing webinar series and in-person workshops in NYC/Metro and across the country. CEE is scaling fundable programs that align to its mission. These include both the National Economics and Personal Finance Challenges, Invest in Girls, Math and Personal Finance, and expanding their work in Career and Technical Education.
- Increasing CEE’s visibility and reach to all of its constituents: Work in this area includes leveraging the 2020 Survey of the States for advocacy and marketing campaigns during Financial Literacy Month.
About Philanthropy at the Council for Economic Education
Total fundraising for CEE approaches $5 million annually, with close to a 50/50 percentage breakdown between unrestricted and restricted revenue. Although corporate support makes up the majority of this funding, CEE has worked diligently to build a foundation of more diversified philanthropic support from Board members, individuals and foundations.
CEE currently has a development staff of four members, including one Director who is focused exclusively on the Invest in Girls program. The Vice President of Development will also work closely with the Events Manager.
About the Position
CEE is recruiting a seasoned fundraising professional to help lead its development department. A strategic thinker, this person will be an ambassador for the organization, building and deepening engagement with donors and driving broader awareness and philanthropic support for the organization. S/he will be responsible for the systematic growth of a comprehensive development department and for designing, overseeing, and executing a development program to grow CEE’s philanthropic revenue significantly.
The right candidate will have proven success in implementing, growing, and managing a high-performing development program, as well as a proven ability to partner with organizational leadership. S/he will have experience in successfully building a donor pipeline and forming external relationships to support a comprehensive development effort.
The Vice President will report to the CEO, Nan J. Morrison.
Prospect and Pipeline Management
- Build out a robust donor pipeline that focuses on corporate, individual, and foundation donor identification, cultivation, solicitation, stewardship and upgrading
- Prioritize a combination of face-to-face visits, video conferencing, and phone communication with qualified corporate, individual and foundation prospects; attend important cultivation meetings that advance the donor relationship; and target substantive moves that enhance stewardship
- Personally, build and manage a portfolio of 75+ institutional and individual prospects
- Report regular progress against strategic and operational goals, including donor engagement and stewardship touchpoints, revenue and quota targets, and pipeline management details
- Engage CEO in key donor cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship activities
Development and Staff Management
- Work with the CEO and leadership team to structure both an annual and multi-year development plan to increase donors and philanthropic revenue
- Manage and mentor a tight knit and well-oiled development team
- Be creative and proactive with new ideas of potential funders, whether they are corporate, foundation, or individuals
- Collaborate with key staff leadership and staff support to draft letters, proposals, reports, case materials, briefings, acknowledgments, and other appropriate materials in support of the development program
- Keep current with trends in the corporate and foundation world to best position CEE funding opportunities
- Work closely with CEE staff to continually build prospect pipeline
- Support CEE’s efforts to secure sponsorships for Visionary Awards Gala and Annual Financial Literacy and Economic Education Conference
- Work with the CEO to strengthen the engagement and stewardship activities of the current Board of Directors
- At least 10 years of development experience with particular focus on corporate fundraising, including at least 5 years of leadership and management experience
- Experience building and sustaining relationships among corporations, high-net worth individuals, and foundations
- Success implementing a long-term fundraising strategy
- Experience building a major gifts program
- Success supporting and managing organizational leadership in donor cultivation and solicitation
- Ability to conceptualize and describe funding needs in a way that is compelling to prospects, donors, Board members, and other stakeholders
- Strong analytical skills exceptional writing and verbal abilities, computer proficiency
- Knowledge of communications and marketing with excellent communications skills
- Results oriented self-starter with an entrepreneurial and innovative spirit
- Passion for CEE’s mission and the ability to serve as an ambassador for the organization
Salary commensurate with background and experience. The Council for Economic Education offers an excellent benefits package, including medical insurance, HSA and FSA, 401(K) with match, life and disability insurance, and generous vacation.
The Council for Economic Education is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Please email your cover letter and resume in confidence to:
Senior Vice President and Director, New York, Principal
Development Guild DDI