National Director of Major Gifts
March 2024 | Remote, USA
Jumpstart seeks a National Director of Major Gifts to manage a portfolio of donors and build a major gifts program.
Jumpstart envisions the day when every child in America enters kindergarten prepared to succeed. A national early education organization with operations in 14 states plus Washington, DC, Jumpstart drives outcomes for young children in three critical ways. Jumpstart provides:
- Language, literacy, and social-emotional direct service programming utilizing an evidence-backed curriculum for preschool children from underserved communities
- Workforce programming to expand the pipeline of qualified, diverse talent pursuing careers in early education, and
- Policy advocacy to support the early childhood field and promote high-quality early learning for all
By leveraging nearly 30 years of experience serving over 187,200 children with the support of more than 64,800 college students and community volunteers, Jumpstart executes these three objectives to improve the quality of the early education workforce and increase opportunity for young children to succeed across America.
About Equity, Diversity & Inclusion at Jumpstart
At the heart of Jumpstart’s vision is a belief in educational equity and a commitment to valuing the dignity of every person. Jumpstart recognizes that in order to accomplish their mission, they must address systemic injustices, especially racial, ethnic and socio-economic, that contribute to substantial opportunity gaps for children of color and children from underserved communities. The opportunity to create a more inclusive and equitable environment by embracing and mirroring from within their organization the vibrant diversity in the communities serve will enhance their collective experience and increase their ability to deliver on the mission.
Jumpstart believes that their organization should reflect the values and principles inherent in their vision and mission, and that they should be a model of opportunity and equity. Jumpstart aims to build and nurture a diverse and inclusive organization; and are committed to creating an environment that nurtures unique perspectives, facilitates authentic dialogue, and honors the identities of its community members to enhance their ability to close the kindergarten readiness gap.
About the Opportunity
Jumpstart is seeking a motivated, innovative, strategic and organized fundraising professional to manage a portfolio of donors and build a major gifts program for the organization’s rapidly growing individual giving program.
The National Director of Major Gifts (National Director) will lead an ambitious and growth-oriented major giving program that raises $8-10M each year and reflects Jumpstart’s mission, goals, and bold plans including the $120M Growth Capital Campaign (72% raised to date). The National Director will focus on prospects and donors in several key markets (NYC, Boston, Atlanta, and California), and will direct their time to developing relationships with new prospects and taking relationships with existing donors to the next level to significantly grow philanthropic giving. The role will be responsible for building and maintaining a pipeline from identification, cultivation, to soliciting/closing and stewarding in partnership with the Donor Relations team, as well as establishing benchmarks and ensuring accountability of the team. The National Director will have responsibility for directing strategy and leading a growing team to ensure that ambitious revenue and non- revenue goals are achieved. This will be accomplished through leveraging an annual portfolio of major gift prospects.
The National Director will understand emerging markets, have overall responsibility for the major giving program ($25,000 and up) and be a critical player in Jumpstart’s Capital Campaign success. The successful candidate is a data-driven fundraiser, experienced working with high-level prospects, and has a proven ability to secure outright major gifts or pledges.
Identify Donors and New Prospects
- Manage the individual donor pipeline and develop strategies that provide a pathway for renewed and increased giving
- Maximize donor data and wealth screening to identify current individual donors who may be cultivated for increased giving
- Identify current Jumpstart donors and new prospects with the capacity and inclination to make five, six, and seven figure gifts, with special attention to mission support and significant program support
- Create and execute cultivation and solicitation strategies and support donor strategies for the team’s portfolio
Long Term & Annual Major Gifts Program
- Oversee and participate in the creation, preparation and execution of annual and long-term major gifts strategy plans, including exclusive cultivation activities, donor trips to sites and rich experiential engagement touchpoints
- Partner with Jumpstart Leadership, Board and volunteers to determine fundraising strategies and directly involve them in the cultivation and solicitation process
- Lead a goal and outcome-oriented major giving program that meets annual goals and aligns to Capital Campaign goals
Major Gifts Management
- Provide team management oversight to qualify, cultivate, solicit, using moves management tools and fundraising best practices to ensure prospects and donors are moving through the appropriate donor cycle
- Oversee the Individual Giving portfolio of current donors and major gift prospects to solicit and close gifts of five, six, and seven figures
- Set ambitious and transparent revenue, performance, and engagement goals and monitor progress and recalibrate plan accordingly
- Support and partner with Jumpstart Leadership, Board and volunteers in raising Jumpstart’s profile and visibility, as well as in their role supporting campaign fundraising efforts
Managing a Growing Team of Fundraising Professionals
- Lead, motivate and effectively manage a growing team of fundraising professionals responsible for Jumpstart’s individual giving portfolio establishing best practices, employing moves management, creating tailored strategies for maximizing individual donor engagement, supporting the professional development of the individual giving team, and expanding the use of the donor database, creating a platform for sustained increased giving
- Set up direct reports to do their best work through a focused approach to coaching including regular, timely feedback and appreciative inquiry, regular 1:1s, goal setting and performance reviews
- Actively model and encourage behaviors and practices that uphold and advance Jumpstart’s values and organizational imperatives
- Set, manage, and analyze short-term and long-term metrics on major and principal gift fundraising activities, including implementation of a progress report system and ensuring proper tracking and reporting in Jumpstart’s donor database
- Seven+ years of progressive experience in non-profit or individual fundraising, with an emphasis on raising six- and seven-figure major gifts
- Minimum of 3-5 years of management experience with strong management skills and ability to oversee and motivate a geographically dispersed team
- Exceptional ability to develop annual and multi-year plans, manage multiple responsibilities and priorities, meet deadlines and achieve impact and results under pressure
- Data-driven fundraiser with deep understanding of pipeline development, moves management, and CRM utilization.
- Proven ability to build working relationships with high-net-worth individuals and a variety of constituents, including Jumpstart leadership and trustees
- Strong research and analytical skills to identify prospective donors and develop successful cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship engagement strategies
- Demonstrated success identifying, cultivating, securing and growing a major gifts donor program
- Excellent written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to communicate and collaborate effectively with individuals and teams at all levels, both internally and externally with demonstrated experience in writing, presenting and public speaking
- Campaign and planned giving experience
- Demonstrated commitment to fostering and maintaining an environment of diversity, inclusion, and belonging
- Experience and comfort working with individuals from diverse backgrounds and communities
- On-going commitment and interest in social justice and diversity, equity and inclusion work
- Commitment to Jumpstart’s core values: learning, social justice, community, joy, and inclusive leadership
- Ability and willingness to travel to various locations as necessary for completion of job duties (estimated at 30%)
- Experience in social service, education or nonprofit sector
- Experience with Salesforce
The salary range for this role is $130,000 – $150,000 commensurate with education and experience; along with excellent benefits and a great mission-driven work environment.
Jumpstart values the differences represented by all Jumpstart staff members that continually shape, inform, and inspire their work across the country to unleash the potential of every child. The wide range of identities embodied in the Jumpstart family, including race, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, gender, gender identities, ability, beliefs, and professional and general life experiences are essential to their collective success. Jumpstart’s effectiveness in achieving their mission depends on their ability to recruit, support, and sustain a network of staff, volunteers, board members, and allies that truly represent the uniqueness and complexities of the communities and world in which they live and work.
If you are interested in being considered for this search, please use the form below to submit your cover letter and resume in confidence.
Senior Vice President, Principal
Development Guild DDI